Fueling Excellence Athletes of the Week
Head to our Podcenter to listen to interviews with the athletes below!
Ryan Bailey – Union Springs Baseball – Pitched a no-hitter with 15 strikeouts against Unatego in the Section IV Quarterfinals, winning 1-0.
Shea Baker – Ithaca Girls Lacrosse – Scored four goals in the Section IV Championship game against Corning, helping Ithaca win its third consecutive title.
Nick Cartmill – Ithaca Boys Lacrosse – Scored 9 total goals in a pair of 9-8 victories over Elmira (4) and Horseheads (5).
Sophie Bennett – Southern Cayuga Track and Field – Dominated the 3000m run at the IAC Championships, winning by 25 seconds in the field of 10 in her first 3000m run of the season.
Mike Wandell – Newark Valley Baseball – Led the Cardinals to victories over Moravia and Dryden. Pitched complete game shutout and went 3-3 with a triple and two doubles and 4 RBI against Moravia, then pitched 3 innings of relief with seven strikeouts to hold off Dryden in 5-2 victory.
Teaghan Garris – Dryden Track and Field – Dominated Newark Valley Invitational with victories in discus and shotput, winning by 13 feet in the discuss, and five feet in the shotput against three other schools.
- Sydney Presher – Spencer-Van Etten Softball – Pitched a no-hitter with seven strikeouts in victory over Watkins Glen.
- Connor Boothroyd – Dryden Baseball – Went 4-4 with 2 home runs, a double, a triple, 4 runs, and 7 RBI in win over Whitney Point.
- Glenn Parker – Trumansburg Girls Track and Field – Won four total races (100 and 200m dash) in a meet against Dryden and Lansing, and at a Marathon meet against over 10 other schools.
- Luke Landis – Moravia Baseball – Key player in three wins to help the Blue Devils stay undefeated. Homered and went 3-5 against Newfield, drove in a run in 9-8 win over Newark Valley, pitched one-hitter in 2-1 win over Marathon.
Ethan Fulton – Trumansburg Baseball – Pitched a 7-inning complete game with 15 strikeouts in win against Edison.
Anna Greeno – Candor Softball – Went 4-7 with 2 home runs, 2 doubles, and 7 RBI in a pair of victories. Also had a three-hit five-inning shutout on the mound against Odessa-Montour.
James Sutherlin – Spencer-Van Etten Track and Field – Won three individual events in victories over Tioga and Newfield.
Tori Brewster – Odessa-Montour Track and Field – Won four individual events in victories over Edison and Candor.
- Thalia Marquez – Watkins Glen Girls Swimming – freshman who won the Section IV Championship in both the 200 and 500 yard freestyle events as part of WG’s fourth straight Section IV Championship. Also was a part of the victorious 200 yard medley and 400 yard freestyle relay teams.
- Thomas Sauer – Ithaca Boys Cross-Country – won his individual race and finished 12th overall at the Section IV end-of-season meet
- Ben Vincent – Lansing Football – ran for 185 yards and 5 touchdowns in win over Elmira-Notre Dame.
- Grace Kadlecik – Lansing Swimming – set school records in both 100 butterfly and 100 backstroke at the IAC Championships, breaking the IAC record in the butterfly.
- Casey Phillips – Dryden Boys Soccer – scored 100th career goal in 1-0 win over Lansing and scored both goals in 2-1 win over Owego.
- Savannah Walden – Trumansburg Volleyball – had 24 kills in 3-2 victory over Lansing to win season series 2-1.
- Hunter Haynes – SVEC Football – ran for 249 yards and five touchdowns in victory over previously unbeaten Newfield. Also intercepted the ball once.
- Ava Wilder – Lansing Girls Soccer – defender who scored crucial PK in win over previously unbeaten Dryden, holding them to just one goal.
- Bri Beebe – Newark Valley Girls Soccer – scored five goals in two games including a four-goal game against Odessa-Montour.
- Brandon Vanacore – Southern Cayuga Boys Soccer – made 18 saves in a 1-0 overtime victory over previously undefeated Marathon, the defending state champions.
- Jacob Humble – Newfield Football – threw for 143 yards and 4 touchdowns and ran for 121 yards and 2 touchdowns in season-opening 74-16 win over TAE.
- Hannah Nolan – Odessa-Montour Soccer – scored hat trick in season-opening win 5-2 over Tioga.
Kalib Manning – Groton Boys Basketball – scored 1,000th career point in game against Ithaca.
Kelly Moravec – Newfield Girls Basketball – scored 1,000th career point in game against Newark Valley.
- Thomas Kopelson – Ithaca Boys Hockey – scored hat trick and two assists in season-opening game vs. Auburn then scored another goal against Cortland/Homer.
- Braelyn Hornick – Candor Girls Basketball – had 21-point, 14-rebound double-double in upset victory over Owego. Also had 11-point, 20-rebound double-double against S-VE to set career-high in rebounds.
- Brooke Tillotson – Marathon Girls Basketball – tallied multiple 30+ point games to start the season and moved to third on the school’s all-time scoring list as a junior.
- Josh Duke – Newark Valley Wrestling – dominated both of his matches in the season-opening tri-meet against SVEC and Thomas A. Edison while wrestling in a higher weight class than usual.