Fueling Excellence Athletes of the Week
Head to our Podcenter to listen to interviews with the athletes below!
11/5 – 11/12
- Cameron Neilson – Marathon Boys Soccer – Recorded a hat trick in the regional round of the NYS Tournament, helping defeat Poland 5-0.
- Kailee Payne – Ithaca Diving – Won Section IV Class AA championship with a score of 445.60. Only two of 15 competing divers met the state cut of 440.
10/29 – 11/5
- Jonny Sherwood – Newark Valley Cross Country – Finished first at the IAC Championships from Marathon, finishing with a time of 17:22.2, helping the Cardinals to a second place finish and beating 94 other runners.
- Emily Miller – Dryden Cross Country – Won gold at the IAC Championships running the 5000 meter course with a time of 20:22 to beat 61 other runners.
10/22 – 10/29
Owen Scholtisek – Watkins Glen/Odessa-Montour Football – Ran for 183 yards and 2 touchdowns on just 14 carries in 34-6 victory over Dryden to clinch playoff appearance.
Lauren Reeves – Groton Girls Soccer – Tallied both goals in 2-0 win over Odessa-Montour in Section IV quarterfinals.
10/15 – 10/22
- Jacob Humble – Newfield Football – Accounted for 364 total yards (250 passing, 114 rushing) along with 4 passing touchdowns and 1 rushing TD in win over Thomas A. Edison.
- Natalia Bell – Groton Girls Soccer – Scored a pair of goals in Groton’s dominant 4-0 victory over Odessa-Montour at the IAC Championships.
10/8 – 10/15
- Alex Schwoeble – Newfield Boys Soccer – Scored four goals in three games including a double-OT winner and two goals against Odessa-Montour to help clinch Newfield’s first Sectionals appearance since 2013.
- Kelsea Mitchell – Ithaca Girls Tennis – Won a three-hour ten-minute match in STAC semifinals against Union Endicott, fighting off five match points to help Ithaca move on. The Little Red ended up winning the STAC final for the first time since 2008.
10/1 – 10/8
- Chase Sposito – Ithaca Football – Threw for 362 yards and three touchdowns including two over 50 yards in homecoming victory.
- Thalia Marquez – Watkins Glen Swimming – Eighth-grader who won 11 races last week across three meets.
9/24 – 10/1
- Casey Phillips – Dryden Soccer – Set school record with 63rd career goal.
- Marissa Berghorn – Newark Valley Field Hockey – Scored hat trick against Owego and game-winning goal against Moravia.
9/17 – 9/24
Conor Baird – Trumansburg Soccer – Became T-Burg’s all-time leading scorer with his 87th career point.
Grace Kadlecik – Lansing Swimming – Broke a school record that stood for 30 years with a 100-yard Freestyle time of 52.21 seconds at the Watkins Glen Invitational. She also won the 50-yard Freestyle at the event with a time of 23.94.
9/10 – 9/17
- Nathan Sokol – Newark Valley Soccer – Scored 6 goals at the GLM Tournament, including 5 in the championship game to clinch the title.
- Jennah Kareem – Candor Volleyball – Helped Candor stay undefeated and win the Tioga Tournament title, finishing with 14 service points and 31 kills.
9/3 – 9/10
- Zach Taylor – Newfield Soccer – Scored 3 goals in Newfield’s 5-0 win over Moravia, the program’s first win in two seasons.
- Delta Barber – Marathon Soccer – Scored 5 goals over the week in wins against Cincinnatus, Lansing and Watkins Glen.
8/27 – 9/3
- Ellie Holland – Marathon Field Hockey – Scored 4 goals in the team’s 7-0 season opening win against Tioga.
- Alex Doucett – Spencer-Van Etten Candor Boys Soccer – Recorded a hat trick in the team’s 6-2 season opening win against Susquehanna Valley.