Fueling Excellence Athletes of the Week
Head to our Podcenter to listen to interviews with the athletes below!
- Danny Parker – Ithaca Wrestling – Continued undefeated sophomore season with a 5-0 day at the Stan Elinsky Memorial Tournament. Had three pins, one tech fall, and a 7-4 decision in the finals.
- Brooke Tillotson – Marathon Basketball – Had two outstanding games against Groton (26pts, 9reb, 7ast) and Newfield (30pts, 11stl, 9reb, 7ast) in pair of victories.
- Lauren Gulini – Dryden Basketball – Named Marathon Miss Holiday Hustle Tournament MVP with 23 points in semifinals, a 47-45 win over Tully, and 15 points in finals to defeat Groton 33-30.
- Adam Pastore – Watkins Glen Basketball – Named Watkins Glen Holiday Tournament MVP with 22 points in the finals against S-VE and 23 points in the semifinals against Windsor.
- Xavier Scott – Dryden Basketball – Continued season-long streak of double-doubles, leading Dryden to wins over END (24 points, 12 rebounds, 7 blocks) and Chenango Valley (18 points, 15 rebounds).
- Charli Bennett – Southern Cayuga Basketball – Led the Chiefs to a 48-43 win over previously undefeated Spencer-Van Etten with a triple-double (15 points, 10 rebounds, 12 steals).
- Rosie Morse – Trumansburg Track + Field – Had the best long jump distance at the 607 Invitational by over two feet, clearing 17’5″. Meet featured 37 schools of all sizes from Class AA to Class D.
- George Oroudjov – Ithaca Wrestling – Named Most Outstanding Wrestler of the Cuneen Doane Tournament with four pins in the 145lb bracket.
- Caelob Georgia – Lansing Wrestling – Won the 285-pound bracket at the Sgt. Justin Rogers Memorial Tournament in Tioga, pinning all five of his opponents, three of which under one minute. Also won his match against Odessa-Montour three days earlier in just 20 seconds.
- Kate Baylor – Moravia Basketball – Led Moravia to a 2-0 start in the IAC with team-leading efforts of 15 points against Groton and 22 points in a 55-54 win over Marathon.
- Carson Crandall – Lansing Basketball – Named Lansing Tip-Off Tournament MVP with 24 points against Spencer-Van Etten then 15 points against Candor in the finals.
- Keyonna Garrison – Odessa-Montour Basketball – Totaled 30 points and 17 rebounds in a pair of wins including an 18 point, 10 rebound double-double in 47-44 win over Hammondsport.
- Devin Beach – SVEC Football – Ran for 151 yards and two touchdowns while leading the team in tackles in the 8-man Football Regional Championship.
- Faye Mooney – Watkins Glen Swimming – Placed 13th in the 100 yard breaststroke at the New York State Championships.
- Jonny Sherwood – Newark Valley Cross-Country – Finished 12th at the NYSPHSAA Cross Country Championships Class C race with a time of 17:13.8 from Chenango Valley State Park.
- Julia Gloss – Southern Cayuga Cross-Country – Finished 15th at the NYSPHSAA Cross Country Championships Class D race with a time of 20:44.6 from Chenango Valley State Park.
- Max Flesher – Newark Valley Football – Scored a touchdown and two-point conversion in overtime to defeat Harpursville/Afton 28-26, sending Newark Valley to the Class D Championship.
- Alice Clapp – Ithaca Swimming – Freshman swimmer who won the Section IV Championship in the 100 yard backstroke and was the final leg of the victorious 200 yard medley relay team.
- Sam Bell – Lansing Cross-Country – Placed second at the IAC Championships on Thursday with a time of 18:32, leading to a Lansing team victory.
- Julia Gloss – Southern Cayuga Cross-Country – Had the best time at the IAC Championships of 22:11, leading the way as three Chiefs runners placed in the top four of the race.
- Jeter Neff – Groton Football – Ran for four touchdowns and caught an interception in 50-14 victory over Trumansburg.
- Faye Mooney – Watkins Glen Swimming – Won the 50 Free and the 100 Breast plus two relays, helping WG win the team title at the IAC Championships on Saturday.
- Silas Richardson – Ithaca Cross-Country – Placed third at the Marathon Invitational out of 108 runners with a time of 17:35 to lead Ithaca to a team victory against 13 other schools.
- Shelby Swartz – Candor Volleyball – Earned a triple-double with 13 service points, 12 aces, and 10 kills against Watkins Glen to lead Candor to 12th straight victory.
- Ehler Somya Soe – Ithaca Soccer – Scored a hat trick in 4-3 win over Vestal including a game-winning goal with 30 seconds left. Also scored in 4-1 win over Corning as Ithaca went 2-1 in the final week of the season.
- Nora Burroughs – Southern Cayuga Cross-Country – Freshman runner who won the IAC North Division Championship by four seconds over senior teammate Sophia Bennett.
- Johnny Sherwood – Newark Valley Cross-Country – Placed 7th out of 317 small school runners at the McQuaid Invitational with a time of 16:33.
- Taylor Benjamin – Newark Valley Field Hockey – Scored 3 goals and tallied 3 assists in a 3-0 week for the Cardinals.
- Zach Taylor – Newfield Boys Soccer – Scored five goals against Watkins Glen and both goals in a 2-1 victory over O-M.
- Hannah Nolan – Odessa-Montour Girls Soccer – Scored four goals in victory over Newfield. Totaled seven goals during a 3-0 week for O-M.
- Nick Thomas – SVEC Football – Tallied 168 total yards and five total touchdowns (four rushing, one passing) in 64-6 win over Moravia.
- Ally Deeley – Dryden Soccer – Had two four-goal games in 3-0 week for Dryden.
- Angelia Scholz – Union Springs Girls Soccer – Scored double-overtime game-winner against Newfield in finals of Cufari Kickoff Tournament.
- Nico Potenza – Trumansburg Boys Soccer – Scored four goals in win over Watkins Glen and added another against Odessa-Montour.
- Tacoma Lee – Moravia Football – Scored two touchdowns including game-winning reception with just 21 seconds left in 36-32 victory over Weedsport.
- Ava Chouman – Ithaca Soccer – Scored five goals in season-opening 6-0 victory over Vestal.